Monday 31 May 2010

Struggle to be Ordinary...

I have heard a lot of buzz about extraordinary feats, extraordinary people. I have also known a couple of people who are working hard to attain the feat of extraordinaire. But yesterday I saw the struggle for being ordinary. I was waiting in this park for my friend. Listening to music and hardly caring for the hullabaloo around. After all it was election time in Kolkata. Lots of thing happening around...the discussions...but there I was sitting and just listening to music seeing the sky and the trees and of course waiting for her. I had a good half an hour of time and nothing to do but lazy around. I saw children playing with their parents around encouraging them. I saw old people walking and doing yoga.
But what could not elude my eyes was the struggle of a boy to keep pace with his friends. At first glance I didn’t notice anything ‘cuz I was too busy enjoying myself and a pleasant weather around. But suddenly I saw the whole bunch of children rallying around encouraging the guy who was struggling to match one of his own species in terms of pace. This is when I put down my headphone and looked with great curiosity as to what was going about there. That is when I saw the boy in crutches. I was taken aback. Such little tender soul yet so huge tragedy pierced through his soul. Such a gentle face yet so huge pain written all over it. I just walked up straight to the place where these children were playing and started pondering on the state of the child. At first I took pity on state of impairment for such beautiful soul. But the very second though that crossed my mind was why should I have such pitiful feeling for him. Here he is enjoying his life with his friends. Although he is not able to keep pace with them, yet he is trying hard. Although he is not able to keep pace with them, yet they are waiting for him to make up. His parents were not far away from him encouraging him for the slightest of effort put forward to resurrect his already fledgling footsteps. They were all smiles yet I know deep down in their heart they were very much worried with what future held in store for their kid. For that kid.
Although I was preparing myself to leave that place I did take a long glance at the kid. I knew he would be ready to face the world once he was required to. The same bunch of encouraging children around him will be replaced by a bunch of success hungry maggots that would never ever care for him. But I was sure he would overcome their devilish imprudence with élan. He might be surrounded with people who might despise him and never ever care for his feelings in future but always he will find much tender hearted soul who would help him, if he requires. The innocence written all over his face might be lost to time trying to position himself for future endeavours. But this innocent face will always be etched in my memory for I, till date, have never seen such pristine smile at the face of cruel fate. For I, till date, have never seen such struggle to be ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment